Dog Articles

Whipworms - the Facts

When it comes to making sure that your loving dog is healthy, both inside and out, then it is important to understand how dangerous dog parasites can be. And in order to understand this topic of being a dog owner, then you must be educated in the many different types of parasites that are out there just waiting to use your dog as a host for its feeding.

This article is going to cover a particular parasite that you may not have heard of, but one that is definitely a danger to your pet dogs. They are called "whipworms". Whipworms are such hearty organisms that they can survive outdoors for very long stretches at a time. The reason why they are called whipworms is because they actually resemble a whip in that they are thin on one end and thicker on the other end.

Like other internal worm feeders, they get into the dog's body when the dog ingests the eggs or the immature form of the whipworm. The whipworm then reaches maturity as it moves through your dog's digestive system.

The adult worms will fasten themselves and draw blood from the cecum, which is a pocket between the small and large intestines. The mature female lays her eggs inside of the host. The eggs are then excreted through the feces.

Typical symptoms that your dog may show signs of if being a host to whipworms include loose and bloody stool, a dull coat, severe weight loss, vomiting yellow-green, and anemia.

Treatment for your dog to get rid of whipworms should always start at your veterinarian's office. Your veterinarian will be able to determine the presence of whipworms by examining your dog's stool specimens. Of course several attempts may be necessary because whipworms are sometimes very difficult to detect.

Afterwards, your veterinarian will administer a potent deworming agent. Also, since you may be combating worms around the house then ask your vet for a product that will help you aid in these household whipworm problems.

But do you want your dog to be exposed to a chemical deworming agent? Every time your dog ingests these worming preparations, it causes some damage to your dog. They're a form of poison, no matter how small the dose. There are, however, natural alternatives to worming products, which will ensure that your dog's system is always impervious to worms. Chemical wormers can be used for this purpose, as well, of course. But to my way of thinking, a natural wormer that works as well a chemical in preventing worms in your dog just has to be superior. It's so much better for your dog's health and wellbeing!

Also as a preventative measure against whipworms, if your dog is an outdoor dog, then be sure to keep him in dry quarters that are regularly exposed to the sun. The reason for this is because whipworms require moisture in order to survive.